If you’re looking for legit job for working remotely and traveling, or you’re just looking for a side hustle to do at home to make some extra cash, then you are in the right place you freedom lover, you.
Is working for VIPKID worth it?
Teaching with VIPKID has been absolutely been worth it because you get to :
- create your schedule week by week.
- decide how much or how little you want to work, and therefore have a sense of control over your income.
- get tons of cash bonuses for opening up your schedule.
- get cash bonuses for getting your friends hired.
- have fun during one-on-one classes with cute little kids and develop awesome relationships with your students.
- get to be creative with your “rewards”.
- work from anywhere (well, anywhere the wifi is good!).
- have fun! There are quite a few side hustles you can do online but many of them don’t pay as well and are quite honestly (painfully) boring- ahem, transcribing.
- have your weekends free if you want them off. Many online English teaching companies require you to have a minimum amount of hours available on the weekend as well as during the week. Not with VIPKID!
- teach 25 minute classes.
- take as much time off as you want. My last contract, I only taught one month out of a six month contract and was still offered a contract renewal.
Teaching English with VIPKID has given me the resources and freedom I need for my free spirited, inspirationally-led lifestyle and I want you to have that too!
I started teaching with VIPKID while traveling around the world for a year and I absolutely loved it. The kids are super cute and the job is legit fun and easy once you get the hang of it.
- crave freedom and flexibility in your life?
- want to go see the world but you’re not sure how to financially support yourself in doing so?
- enjoy having fun with kids?
- have patience? Lol, the job is working with kids!
It truly is the perfect job for working remotely and traveling (or saving up money for traveling!). If you have questions about applying, interviewing, or working with VIPKID please comment below because I want to help you get hired!
Requirements to teach for VIPKID in 2020
- Legally eligible to work in the United States or Canada.
- California resident’s are excluded (sorry friends!)
- Bachelors degree in any field.
- At least 2 years experience teaching including coaching, tutoring, mentoring, babysitting, or any other “formal” or “informal” experience working with kids.
- Actually enjoy working with kids!
- Have a computer, headset, and a “classroom” aka a quiet room with a blank wall space to sit in front of.
How much does VIPKID pay?
Base Pay for VIPKID
To start, VIPKID pays their teachers $7-$9 per 25 minute class.
Make an extra $1 per class by showing up to your class on time. With that being said, add an extra dollar to that $7-$9 per class because you’re an awesome, English teaching professional who always shows up on time.
Most teachers make $16-$22 an hour, teaching two 25- minute classes per hour.
On top of that, VIPKID is constantly giving out cash incentives for their teachers to open up their availability in their schedules, regardless if you get booked or not.
So as long as you’re opening up your availability, it’s more than likely that you’ll be receiving cash bonuses just for simply being available to work.
For every successful referral (someone who applies to teach with VIPKID, gets hired, and teaches their first class), you get a $100 referral bonus. Woot woot! 🙌
This one is especially awesome because you can earn cash money simply for helping your friends get hired. It’s a win-win!
Is VIPKID a pyramid scheme?
Sorry to burst your skeptic bubble, but no, VIPKID is not a pyramid scheme.
Yes, you get a cash bonus if someone applies with your referral code and gets hired.
But, unlike pyramid schemes, you do not get paid for anyone that gets hired using your friends referral code, and so on.
What is the time commitment for working with VIPKID?
Okay, now this is why VIPKID, in my humble opinion, is the BEST English teaching company to work for: work as much or as little as you want during your 6 month contract.
No weekend requirements. No weekly hour requirements. Literally, work as much or as little as you want.
Work part-time or full-time, you can create your ideal schedule week by week.
Want more money? Work more. Want your time to travel, study, roc climb, or put time towards your other income sources? Work less.
Many similar companies have minimum hourly requirements and weekend requirements for their teachers- but not with VIPKID!
This is super convenient if you are working remotely and traveling because you never know when you might make some friends and need to plan an adventure. Impromptu climbing trip to Laos, anybody?
Do I have to lesson plan for VIPKID?
Nope, just show up and teach the already prepared lesson.
If it’s your first time teaching a new lesson, it’s helpful to briefly go through the slides a few minutes before class starts.
This will help you understand the flow of the class, whether it’s an easier or a more challenging class, and help you pace the class depending on the students comprehension.
But I’d be lying if I were to say I’ve never just winged it during a new class lesson before. 😉 The lessons are super straight forward.
Is VIPKID a legit company?
Yes, which is why I’m writing this blog post to tell you about it! There are over 100,000 English teachers (seriously), and I think I met half of them while traveling throughout Asia.
Coming in hot at #9, VIPKID was recognized as Glassdoor’s Top 10 Companies To Work in the United Sates and #3 in Canada fro 2020.
Everyday, there’s an average of 180,000 classes being taught. Here’s the deal, there are a lot of Chinese kids (oh, only about 700,000 actively participating children) wanting, or strongly influenced by their parents, to learn English.
And you can have a lot of fun (and freedom) being their English teacher.
Behold, this is what a typical day of teaching with VIPKID looks like. Lots of singing, having fun with your students, and oh- did I mention there’s no leg prison (pants) or shoes requirement? It’s kind of the best.
Soon, I developed really sweet relationships with ,many of my students who booked me nearly every day that I taught, quickly becoming my “regulars”.
To wrap things up, I hope this inspired you to start working remotely and traveling the world.
Don’t forget to read about How to Save Money on Accommodation When You Travel.
I was able to save up a ton of money by combining this awesome, remote job and and those money saving accommodation tips.
In fact, I realized that traveling full-time can actually be way cheaper than going back home to California where originally I’m from.
Just be sure to travel green and avoid using single-use plastic as much as possible. After all, we want to leave everywhere a little bit better than we found it, right? right.
Fist bump. ✨🤜🤛✨
Ask me if you have any questions! I genuinely want to help you get hired, this is a super sweet gig. And honestly, the interview process can be pretty rigorous. I’m here for ya!