Are you wondering what the heck makes great rock climbing outfits?
Whether you’re climbing indoors at your local climbing gym or headed out to the crag, here are some rock climbing outfit ideas to keep you comfy and ready to send!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. This means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more! Isn’t that rad? Thanks for supporting the work I do at daretobeawildflower.com. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
What To Wear Rock Climbing: Indoor vs. Outdoor Rock Climbing Outfits
One cool thing about climbing indoors, is not needing to worry about the weather. Long story short, most comfy activewear will get the job done.
When climbing outdoors, you’re going to need to be prepared for wind, rain, sun protection, and be sure your fabrics are rugged and ready for an adventure.
Tops for Rock Climbing
When choosing a top for indoor rock climbing, consider looking for:
- Stretch fabric, this one is especially important for tight fitting tops.
- Moisture Wicking fabrics help evaporate your sweat and keep you dry.
When choosing a top for outdoor rock climbing, be sure to look for:
- Abrasion Resistant to hold up to the rough texture of rock walls and boulders.
- UPF Sun Protection for those long approaches and climbs with tons of sun exposure.
As for sport bras, opt for a bra with excellent stretch and the least amount of plastic and metal pieces as possible. They do not feel fun digging into your shoulder blades on a whipper.
Can I just wear a sports bra?
Sure thing, lady! Many women climb in just their bra (pants included!) on hot days in the gym or at the crag.
If you’re outdoors, just be sure not to forget about your sunblock. Trust me, you don’t wanna have a blistering, lobster back. 😱🦞 We’re not about the life around here.
Shop Sport Bras
Just one wear and you’ll quickly see how it stays put through even your sweatiest moments (that’s the moisture wicking at work), while UPF 50+ provides an extra layer of sun safety.
This style is fitted, flattering, & easy to pair with all your favorite leggings and shorts. The back is truly something else. Soft novelty straps cross over your shoulder blades perfectly and create a dynamic keyhole element where they meet. Don’t be surprised if this quickly become a staple style in your climbing arsenal.
Sweat-resistant, sun-protecting, and stylish to boot: The Momento women’s active top has it all. This lightweight recycled nylon blend offers moisture-wicking fabric, UPF 50+ coverage, and heat transfer tech for a worry-free workout session.
The Faro is made with Chakara® performance fabric and offers moisture-wicking properties, UPF 50+ sun safety, and a strong, comforting feeling against your skin.
It also has an adjustable back strap, an interior bra shelf, and brushed elastic-so there’s no need to worry about itching or scratching.
The crossed straps on the back create a cool, open look for a one-of-a-kind style.
And on the inside? An interior shelf bra with plush elastic gives you total support without compromising comfort, while soft and stretchy jersey fabric with moisture-wicking properties keeps you dry and moving with ease. So you’re free to, dare I say, wander often.
Tops for rock climbing approaches
For rock climbing approaches, wear a full T-shirt style top or a long sleeve top that will protect your skin from rubbing against the straps of your heavy backpack.
Wearing a long sleeve sun top with UPF protection will help protect your skin from harmful UV sun rays.
Shop Women’s Climbing Tops
- Recycled nylon blend lightweight stretch interlock with moss
- Moisture wicking
- UPF 50+
- V-neck racer back reversible crop top
- Fair Trade Certified™ Factory
Designed for working hard and looking good while doing it, this women’s top is made with a blend of Chakara®, our most compressive performance fabric yet, and offers moisture-wicking properties, UPF 50+ sun safety, and a strong, grounding feeling against your skin.
This recycled polyester fabric blend is stretchy, comfy, and an absolute joy to wear with a gorgeous cross-back detail. It’s fully workout-ready too, with moisture-wicking properties and dropped armholes designed to keep you cool and dry.
Let your clothes do the talking for you and add some attitude to your look. They’re lightweight, made with our soft organic cotton, Fair Trade Certified™, and built for your active lifestyle.
These fun, organic cotton and recycled polyester wide-neck women’s tee is a soon-to-be favorite. Plus, they’re soft. Really soft.
Pants for Rock Climbing
When choosing a pair of pants or leggings for rock climbing there are a few things we want to look for:
- Durability to withstand the rugged rock walls that want, with every particle in their rocky beings, to put holes in your pants.
- Simplicity. Try to avoid pants with a bunch of extra metal zippers and snaps.
- Stretch in the fabric for those high leg ninja moves! WaPOW! 💥
- Look for a fabric with a 4-way stretch.
Additional features to look for in climbing pants
- DWR (Durable Water Repellant) Finish helps moisture bead up and roll off the surface of your pants instead of getting absorbed into the fabric.
- Adds an extra layer of wind protection.
- Excellent to have for outdoor climbing.
- High-Rise Waist creates a compatible fit with your climbing harness.
- Not important for bouldering, but useful for roped climbing.
- Reinforced Knees for kneebars, chimneys, and other full-body tactics.
- Seat Gusset for added mobility.
- If you’re wondering what the heck a seat gusset is, it’s an extra piece of fabric in the crotch so you can make those reach moves without ripping a hole in your crotch. Heyyo! 😉
- UPF Sun Protection because we love our skin.
Shop Women’s Rock Climbing Pants and Leggings
Creative 7/8 length climbing leggings that are badass, high-quality, and durable. 😊
Featuring original sport climbing gear illustrations with a high waist, gusseted crotch, and ankle band!
Great for climbing, trail running, yoga, biking, and hiking! ready to hit a crag or trail near you-the perfect outdoor pants!
BADASS 7/8 length technical leggings with reinforced knees, envelope phone pocket, gusseted crotch, chalk bag loop on the waist, and a high waistband for under-harness ease!
Made ethically and sustainably in small batches by femmes in the US/Turtle Island.
A durable performance fabric has a relaxed fit and reinforced + articulated knees for protection and an even wider range of motion that’s perfect for climbing. The knit elastic waistband and a cinch hem at the edge of each ankle keeps the Wakeen Pant in place as you move.
It also has plenty of storage space, like wraparound front pockets with a secure zip entry, a mesh pocket bag on your right side, and an elastic brush holder loop too.
Your adventure pants should be as tough as you are. Whether it’s climbing the crag, setting up the campsite, or anywhere in between, you’re ready for it all thanks to double-layered fabric at the knees, providing protection and comfort.
Designed for working hard and looking good while doing it, this women’s style is made with a blend of Chakara® and offers moisture-wicking properties, UPF 50+ sun safety, and a strong, grounding feeling against your skin.
There’s also extra support by creating a high-rise fit, a hidden key pocket in the waistband, and a COOLMAX® triangle gusset for the ninja high legs.
Made with performance ripstop fabric, which goes through a special reinforcing technique that makes it resistant to tearing and ripping. hey also have a DWR (durable water repellent) finish, so if the weather takes a turn, you’re covered. Knee darts allow for ergonomic movement in the great outdoors.
There’s also added front and back patch pockets, as well as a side zipper pocket on the right hip. Moisture-wicking properties keep you cool. And UPF 50+ keeps you safe from the sun.
What makes the Halle women’s pant a fan favorite? It’s built for every kind of outdoor adventure. Seriously. The water- and abrasion-resistant Stretch Zion performance fabric will keep you going strong through epic hiking trips, biking sessions, and everything in between.
Can I wear shorts when rock climbing?
Well, you can. There’s no rock climbing outfits fairy judge that’s going to come down out smite you- but I don’t recommend it.
Whether you’re climbing indoors or outdoors, the rock wall and holds are rough and can easily cut your skin.
Shoes for Rock Climbing
Approach Shoes are trail shoes designed to help climbers approach outdoor rock climbing routes on technical terrain.
Essentially, they look kind of like a mix between a climbing shoe and a trail shoe.
- Vibram Megagrip traverse outsole with enhanced stability area and trail bite heel braking platform
- Low-profile lacing harness for a snug and comfortable fit
- STB Control System delivers torsional rigidity and support without encumbering underfoot cushion
- Wide forefoot fit for excellent all day comfort and stability
- Mesh-constructed upper
Rock Climbing Shoes
Rock climbing shoes should fit snug but not painful. I don’t care what Joe-Shmoe-Climbs-Hard-At-The-Gym said, climbing shoes do not need to be painful!
Tip: When fitting a climbing shoe, make sure you don’t feel any painful pressure points.
I’m obsessed with these shoes. They are so comfortable, perfect for a long day on a multipitch route.
Best for: trad and sport climbs
Fantastic climbing shoe for all around performance. Also, budget friendly.
Best for: all types of climbing, budgets, and beginners.
This vegan-friendly bouldering shoe rocks a velcro strap closure for comfort and an easy on-and-off convenience.
Best for: Bouldering
From the farm to the factory to your closet, we have an opportunity to reduce our impact on the environment with our clothing choices.
Start asking questions about the clothing you wear in the same way you ask about the food you eat.
PrAna is hands-down my favorite rock climbing and yoga clothing brand. They have stylish and sustainable clothing that last for years and is created consciously every step of the way.
PrAna’s conscious clothing and sustainability efforts include:
- Fair-Trade Certified – directly support farmers and factory workers, helping them bridge the gap between living wage and minimum wage.
- Responsible Down Certified – ensure geese and ducks are treated with respect throughout the entire process.
- Recycled Wool – reduces the need for water, dyes and chemicals, energy, and animal impact compared to the process used for virgin wool.
- 100% Organic Cotton– uses less water, uses rainwater more efficiently, eliminates GMOs and harmful chemicals from your closet, and so much more.
- Bluesign Certified – keeps harmful chemicals out of our oceans and skies.
Honestly, my closet is full of PrAna clothing. Not only do I love supporting eco-conscious brands doing business the right way but their products are:
- very stylish. Seriously, so cute!
- excellent quality that still looks brand new five years later
- super comfy
- designed for performance
Other Considerations For Rock Climbing Outfits
- Be sure to remove all jewelry as it could lead to an injury.
- Don’t forget your sun protection including a hat, sunglasses, and sunblock.