Love trees? 🌲 Hate opening your mail box to find it stuffed with junk mail? 😠
You’re not alone.
According to a report by the group ForestEthics, the amount of greenhouse gases that are released for the sake of creating junk mail are equivalent to 9 million cars on the road.
But here’s the good news: you’re about to find out how to STOP junk mail from ending up in your mailbox 📫 and crushing your eco-friendly heart. 💚
I mean, C’MON. It’s called junk for a reason.
Stop Junk Mail Action #1: Remove Your Information From Credit Card & Insurance Companies
- Go to OptOutPrescreen.com.
- Scroll down and tap on “Click Here To Opt-In Or Opt-Out”.
- Select Electronic Opt-Out by Mail.
- Fill out your name and address on the next page.
- Social Security and Birth Date are not required. 😉
- BAM! You are now opted out of credit card and insurance offers by mail for the next five years. Go you! 🤜🤛 🥳
- If you prefer to opt out over the phone, call 1-888-5-OPT-OUT .
Here’s a great little one-minute video showing you the entire process of how to stop junk mail from credit card and insurance companies. 👍
Stop Junk Mail Action #2: Opt Out of Direct Mail
Head over to DMAchoice.org and create an account. 👩💻
Bust out your credit card 💳 because this service will cost you a whopping $2. 🤑
Once you create an account, you can update your mailing preferences for things like catalogs, magazines, and other wasteful crap you don’t actually care about.
Stop Junk Mail Action #3: Go Paperless
If you haven’t already opted for paperless billing, then I want you to stop what you’re doing and go do that right now. 🚀
Here are a few different websites you can probably head to right now and save some trees. 🌲🌲🌲
Opt for paperless billing with your:
- credit cards
- car insurance
- car payments
- home/ renters insurance
- any other reoccurring bill or statement you receive in the mail.
Stop Junk Mail Action #4: Say “Peace Out” To Coupons and Ads ✌️
- Opt out of those Valpak coupon bundles here.
- Don’t worry, you can still print out or screenshot the coupons on their website. Save trees. Save dollars. Now that’s what I’m talking about!
- Remove your address from RetailMeNot Everyday. They’re the ones who send you all those grocery store weekly ads and other crapola.
- Remove your address online here.
- Giving them your email is not required to remove your mailing address. Just sayiiiin!
- Email them with your request and your address. Just be sure it’s exactly how it looks on the mail they send you.
- Call 1.800.437.0479 and select option #3.
- Remove your address online here.
NOTE: Usually these advertisements are scheduled out weeks in advance, so it may take up to 6 weeks before you actually stop receiving all that junk mail. 🤭
But What If I Recycle the Junk Mail?
Unfortunately, most things that get put into recycle bins go straight into landfills.
The truth is that our recycling system is broken. ♻️💔
And even if it does actually happen, it’s still a tremendous use of resources and creates production waste.
The most sustainable thing is to lower the “demand” (lol) for junk mail by opting out of the mailing lists so it never gets created in the first place.
Feeling inspired? Good! Take action right meow!
It’ll definitely take you less than 10 minutes to opt out of all of these and finally stop junk mail from filling up your mailbox.
Do it for the trees. Do it for the landfills. Do it for The Lorax.
Do it for the oceans, and mountains, and canyons, and all the beautiful creatures, include you, that thrive with clean air and pollution-free water. 💛✨
Keep your head up! You’re doing a great job with what you can.
We’re in this together. 🤜🤛